Skip to main content

Featured

Sailor moon

 

Why did I become a Japan lover?

 

Welcome to my blog, mainly devoted to Japan, its culture, and customs. My blog is somewhat unconventional, as I cannot share with you my own experiences from the “Land of the Rising Sun”. Why? - You ask. Because I have never been to Japan. Why start a blog about Japan if you haven't seen anything or experienced anything? The answer is simple, each of us dreams, each of us is fascinated by something and although most of my knowledge does not come from my own experience and was gained by me through years of exploring the topic, I would like to share it with you, as well as my experiences.

Japan fascinated me since I was a child, it started innocently and quite unconsciously, when I watched cartoons on various TV channels. I remember my favourite series was "Yattaman", "Magic Mirror" or "Tsubasa". I was born in the 1980s in Poland when the Internet did not exist yet and its origins date back to 1991. Television was the only channel of communication that most people had access to. From the very beginning, I was a fan of big-eyed characters, but also never thought about their origin.

"The Magic Mirror"

"Yattaman"


Until one beautiful afternoon in September 1995, I didn't know how much my life would change. What happened then? - you ask. At that time, the first episode of "Sailor Moon" was broadcasted. Banal, you will say, and yet this ordinary fairy tale, called by most people in Poland (where I come from), stupid Chinese fairy tales, turned my world upside down. Do you know this feeling when your heart is racing like crazy, when you can't focus on anything, when nothing matters and all you think about is the next episode of your favourite series? Sounds crazy, doesn't it? I was only 9 years old then, and this "fairy tale" became my whole world. It started my fascination with Japan, encouraged me to learn Japanese, its alphabet, and to explore the culture and customs. That's a lot for a little girl, isn't it? Will you ask if I can speak Japanese? The answer is no. I was not able to learn difficult grammar and complicated hiragana, katakana and kanji signs by myself, and plans to study Japanese were quite brutally verified by life. But let's go back to my childhood. It may seem strange to people in the 21st century, but this feeling of indescribable happiness connected with this period of my life accompanies me to the present day, as well as my love and fascination for Japan.

"Sailor Moon"

This is not the end of my story. The next posts will tell about my experiences with Pen Pals (you can read the article HERE) and the elements of culture that I was interested in at the time.

I hope you liked my post, and maybe you also have similar experiences from the period of your youth and fascination with Japan? Let me remind you that not all people have the opportunity to make their dreams come true for various reasons, but no one will forbid us to dream or fulfil our dreams in other ways. A trip to Japan is still on my priority list 😊


Read this article in Polish 👉 + Polski 👈

Comments

  1. I hope you get to visit Japan sometime soon after all of these years dreaming to get there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts