Skip to main content

Featured

Sailor moon

 

Pen Pal, Pen Friend, Postcards and Japan

 

My story with Pen Friends also known as Pen Pals began around 1997/1998. I come from a middle-class family, I did not have my own computer or access to the Internet at that time, but it was not a problem because the omnipresent Internet cafes reigned around. It was there where, while searching for information about Japan, I came across a website called Pen Pals.

I don't know if all of you have come across this term, but in the 90's it was a very popular trend. The whole concept was based on sharing your data on an internet portal, with a brief description of your age, interests, etc. and expressing your willingness to exchange correspondence with a completely unknown person from anywhere in the world. 

As you can easily guess, I took advantage of the opportunity to correspond with a girl of similar age, with the graceful name: Chigusa. My knowledge of English at that time was negligible, so it took me some time to prepare for writing the letter in English. I remember going to the book fair in search of English textbooks, phrasebooks and all kinds of books written in English about Polish culture 😊. At that time, we only learned German in my primary school, but I have always wanted to learn English and it was a great opportunity to do so. After many tries, my first letter was ready, and it has been posted by airmail to Japan. The waiting period was very long, and it was so long that I had time to forget about the whole situation, when one (not very good one) day I returned home from school to see a longed, pasty-framed envelope. You will not believe it, but the impression took my breath away, hysterical crying and laughter mixed with disbelief! It was one of the most beautiful days of my life! From that moment on, I was able to learn about Japan from the very source. I loved exchanging correspondence with Chigusa because she always wrote me long letters. Despite the busy schedule and a lot of off-school activities, every month I received comprehensive answers to all the questions I asked, as well as little bits and pieces in the form of anime character cards ( Japanese cartoons), stickers or tiny, sweet photos called Purikura.

These portals still exist today and are still very popular. People bored with the ease and speed of information exchange on the Internet return to the old habits of snail mail. In my opinion, the main reason for this is the blandness of electronic correspondence and, above all, its elusiveness, where the traditional exchange of letters, the possibility of personalization and a bit of sentimental and collector value speak in its favour.

After many years, I wanted to try again what it was like to write letters in the traditional way and registered on one of the www.interpals.net websites. It is a free site where you can create your profile, add your personal information and photos. You can choose profiles of people from all over the world who want to exchange letters, e-mails, etc. The only drawback of this portal is the limit of sending messages for people who have just created their profile, which is to limit spam sending to portal users. I personally contacted two people from Japan through this portal. 


Finally, as an interesting fact, there is also a portal called Postcrossing where you can exchange postcards for people who like or simply collect postcards from around the world. After creating your own profile, we set our own preferences as to the subject and appearance of the desired postcards, the country from which it is to come and we get an address with an identification number to which we are the first to send the postcard requested by the recipient. When the recipient receives a postcard from us, they register this event in the system and sends us the postcard we have requested along with the identification number which we register in the system this time. Then the cycle repeats itself. Thanks to this system, you can get the postcards of your dreams for your own collection. 

If you liked my post, leave a comment, or maybe you also have similar experience in this topic and you want to share it?


Read this article in Polish 👉+ Polski👈

Comments

  1. Great story. I had pen frinds from other countries myself as a child and I know how much fun writing and receiving letters was for me. Sometimes it is really hard to believe that e-mails and electronic messaging / internet platforms were not part of everyday life and it took weeks for a message to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! Recently I realised that the world has change to the extent that we are no longer taught to be patient. We receive everything instantly, video for demand, whole series to watch in Netflix, and this is fun but lasts a second. I really liked this slow-paced life of the past.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts